Contact Us

C A Blackwell (Contracts)
Limited Head Office

Coggeshall Road, Earls Colne,
Essex, CO6 2JX

Telephone: 01787 223 131



email: preconstruction@cablackwell.co.uk
Northern Regional Office
7 Appleton Court, Calder Park,
Wakefield, WF2 7AR

Telephone: 01924 250 132



email: preconstruction@cablackwell.co.uk
Midlands and South West Regional Office
4 Bredon Court, Brockeridge Park,
Twyning, Gloucestershire
GL20 6FF

Telephone: 0844 482 9685

email: preconstruction@cablackwell.co.uk
Scottish Regional Office
Broken Cross,
Douglas Water,
Lanark,
ML11 9PB



email: preconstruction@cablackwell.co.uk
South Wales Regional Office
St Line House,
Mount Stuart Square,
Cardiff Bay, CF10 5LR

Telephone: 0844 482 9685

email: preconstruction@cablackwell.co.uk

Our History

The Company was established by Chris Blackwell as a registered company in 1956 with activities focused on providing subcontract earthworks capabilities to the main contractors engaged on the national motorway network construction programme. The business developed to become one of the biggest plant fleet operators in Britain and established a subsidiary to work in Northern Ireland in 1967.

During the period 1956 to 1985, the Company's activities were all related to the employment of the high capital invested in earthworks plant. This meant that the majority of the turnover was won through competitive tendering to civil engineering main contractors who had the reputation for adversarial management and reluctant paymasters.

Unlike many of its contemporary competitors, the company through the insight of its founder, attracted key managers from the main contractors in order to operate to the high standards demanded and to exploit the commercial entitlement within an industry sector overburdened with ‘one man bands’. The management realised that to survive it was necessary to diversify into other areas of the civil engineering industry and to reduce their dependence on subcontract earthworks.

The initial change occurred in the establishment of a regional office in Swansea in 1985. This office, sited strategically in an area of Government funded development, established a successful civil engineering division within the Company and promoted the recruitment of professional staff.

Milestone projects on the way included sections of most of the UK’s motorways, many Millennium Commission schemes, HS1, Terminal 5, the Olympic Park, HS2 and the first new heavy metal mine in the UK.